Search This Blog

Sunday, 8 April 2012

Performing Arts Student, Jenna Kearns, close to first EP release!

My name is Jenna, I’m a 21 year old singer songwriter. My favourite singer is Leona Lewis and favourite singer/songwriter is Taylor Swift, I was originally born in Wales but moved to England in 2009 to study performing arts and Music at Hereward College.


I originally started out as a musical theatre performer I attended Burleigh Academy in Wales, this is where my love of singing began, I then started taking weekly singing lessons and did a few musical theatre singing grades, I had a distinction in grade 3. I there only did the occasional performance with my academy.

When moving to Coventry, a local choir came to the college to perform for a Christmas party, I immediately knew singing was what I wanted to do in my life, I spoke to the choir teacher and the following week went to their weekly practice, and became a member of “Soulful Gospel Choir”

In December 2011, I found an advert which was for Newport’s Got talent, a local talent show. So I thought why not, I immediately sent in a recording of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”, and before I knew it I was short listed out of thousands, and then was put to the public votes, I then got told I was one of ten Finalists to perform at “Park life 2011”.

Due to the success of the audition and getting through I was asked to do Interviews with a local radio station, “Newport City Radio” the guys and station manager “Ian Lamsdale” were so friendly and welcoming, and enjoyed having me on so much they asked me if I wanted to volunteer on a weekly basis, to help them on air, me being so enthusiastic I agreed.

I performed at Tradegar house on the 25th July 2011, in front of 10,000 people and a team of 4 judges. Two of them being Rhys and Edsy from Newport’s own band Goldie Lookin chain. I Sang Adele – Someone Like you. It was such a nerve racking performance, and especially with my family and close friends being there.

I am currently working on some original material, and looking to release my first EP – Electronic Album, with 4 original songs and dedicated to a special friend I miss so much. I am actively involved in Open Mic Nights every sunday and regular gigs that the Newport City Radio Team ask me to perform at, and hoping to audition for X factor, Open Mic UK and Live and Unsigned with some original material.

 In the future I want to be able to have some Albums out, have been noticed either by a label or just a local Coventry based talent agency. I want to also do some fund-raising music night events in Coventry to raise money for Cancer trust and Great Ormand Street Hospital I love performing and want to be able to help other people through my music and passion.

A few highs of my career so far are, Performing in front of 10,000 people and having the support from family and friends, using my own experiences to write my own songs, singing regularly on Newport City Radio , being in the soprano section of my choir and just doing the thing I enjoy the most, Singing.

 A few lows of my career have been, because of so much singing and performing I have been ill with Tonsilytis a lot, one thing I find a lot is, not being taken seriously because some people only see my chair and don’t bother to acknowledge my talent.

I also find it very crushing not being able to play an instrument because of the range of movement from my disability, but have found some great musicians who are amazing and help me with anything I need.

The main reason I started to take my singing seriously was when my best friend died in 2008, she has been my inspiration for most of my original songs so far, and my first EP is going to be dedicated to her.

 No my disability doesn’t limit what I can achieve, I am my own person with my own goals and dreams, I have the ability, equipment and drive to succeed and am willing to put all my effort into making my career work. Just because I have a chair doesn’t mean I’m less able, ok I can’t play an instrument but so what not every singer can. I am going to make it in the world of music whether I’m popular or my own artist, it’s my happiness that counts.


You can download my tracks for free here: http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/9976

No comments:

Post a Comment